Sunday, October 12, 2008

Best Food Quote of the Year

"The very length and complexity of the modern food chain breeds a culture of ignorance and indifference among eaters." *

*Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto"

Pollan recently wrote an informative--- and thought-provoking---- article in the NY Times on food and its relation to fossil fuels, politics, the economy, climate change, solar energy, agriculture, food cost, malnutrition, population, sustainability, and government regulation.

In light of the upcoming election and energy that envelops it, his analogy of the next President we elect to the next Chef we vote into the White House is brilliant. Read it. It's online at:


Yet, and more familiar to me, is a recent conversation I had with my Mom about my interest in hunting (and the hunter consuming all of the huntee). I wonder if I would have been more successful in changing her negative opinion of hunting by instead having said, "to support hunting is a sustainable way to eat meat." That is, eating meat "grown without any fossil fuels whatsoever." Doubtful, but it's still an argument I'd like to revisit come Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment